Friday, October 12, 2012

Chasing Butterflies For A Friend

I spent a beautiful afternoon chasing a butterfly, trying to get that perfect shot of this mini I made for a friend. The sun did not want to cooperate, and the shadows wanted to play with us, but boy did I have fun!


 This mini was made for a swap with my Gruber's retreat friends. I drew Terri's name, and it didn't take long for me to decide the fabric I wanted to use.


Terri is a huge fan of Anna Maria Horner, and I knew she was anxiously awaiting the arrival of her new line, Field Study. So while I began waiting for the arrival as well, I started brainstorming on what to make.


Once I received my Field Study order, I realized that the ideas I had come up with just would not work. So, back to the designing board.


Field Study has beautiful, large prints, and initially I did not want to cut it! Seriously... I really did not want to cut it...it almost pained me to cut it!! I think I even heard a little groaning from the cutting mat.


But I know a quilt cannot be made without a little cutting. So cutting I did...alot...too much. It took me awhile to finally decide on what I wanted to make, but hopefully Terri will be able to use the scraps (big and small) that I included with her mini quilt. 


I wanted it to showcase the beauty of the prints. I fussy cut a butterfly (Terri loves butterflies!!) and surrounded it with some wonky log cabin strips. The quilt top, backing and binding is all from the Field Study collection with a little Kona White added to help bring out the beautiful colors.


I quilted this mini using organic lines (my favorite) using a pale pink thread.


I hope I did Field Study justice, and that Terri loves the mini as much as I came to love it!!

Thanks, as always, for visiting my blog!!
~ Michelle ~

7 comments:

  1. I ADORE this mini quilt you made for me! It looks great as a centerpiece on our kitchen table. I was so excited when I opened the package you sent me, full of so many wonderful goodies. I couldn't believe how big those "scraps" were you shared with me. Can't wait to make more with these lovely prints. Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful, Michelle-- I totally just pinned your last photo--seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Your mini for Terri is beautiful and so appropriate for her. You took some gorgeous photos in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice...your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I love it! What a perfect gift for Terri! I love it! Well done, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely quilt! I'm really enjoying seeing the swaps that your group came up with. And your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete